Yewbarrow Lodge

Design competition managed using our multi-divisional expertise 

433 CAM 03
Type of project
Project Partners
South Lakes Housing Trust
OMI Archtiects
Copied to clipboard

Challenge the norm

Approached to help unlock a distressed asset, we offered our multi-discipline expertise to provide an initial appraisal on the site and to carry out a review on likely build costs for new build v retainment options.  It was clear that the existing building had a multitude of constraints and that it wasn't lending itself to the requirements of the end user.

A detailed optioneering analysis allowed the decision to be made which was to demolish the existing building but to retain as much of the fabric for reuse to offset any embodied carbon.

To ensure the best possible scheme was brought forward we thought outside the box and developed a design competition.  This led to an array of options and ideas as the designers competed against each other to put forward a solution that responded best to the site whilst having an eye on the buildability and commercial aspects (fully interrogated by Enabl!).

Having now led the scheme into planning, we're gearing up for the next stage of design and procurement where we will lead the scheme onto site.

More details
about what we did


We think
outside the box.

Knowing that the client wanted to challenge the norm excited us.  And it did.  Bringing forward affordable housing on a topographically tricky site whilst wanting to create a showpiece to demonstrate how Housing Associations can offer high end products in suburban locations was the challenge we wanted.

We wanted to make best use of the opportunity and structuring a design competition allowed us to do just that.

DJI 0657

A site rich in history
requiring a renewed purpose

The original Yewbarrow Lodge Estate was built in 1832 for Benjamin Hall and in 1919, the Yewbarrow Lodge Estate was purchased by Lieutenant Colonel Austin Townsend Porritt (1875-1956).  In 1941, Yewbarrow Lodge was severely damaged by an incendiary bomb during World War II and the building was demolished and rebuilt in 1991 . 

Occupying an elevated position on steeply sloping parkland the site is separated from the estuary plain by the Furness Railway Line, Botanical Gardens and the Main Street arterial road.


Follow us on Instagram